Re: What chip!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What chip!

>Like intel is the only chip with bugs. Just about every processor has
>had bugs of some sort. the 386 was literally loaded with problems, and
>ALL first public release versions of the multitude of 686 type
>processors out there had some bug or other. he FDIV thing was just
>badly handled by intel PR, and I assume some powerful media figure had
>some beef with intel.

Gee, let's see. Those 386s are also from Intel. Doh!

>In fact, The first release of the G3 had two bugs :-P. I am pretty
>sure that if you buy one now they won't have them anymore (just like
>if you buy a p60 now it won't have the FDIV bug anymore.)

Oh yeah? Mind telling me some more about that? (the G3 bugs)

>as to running at low wattage, the 486 (which is the only notable
>processor that no one has found any bugs for, it appears.), SL series,
>is almost as good as the G3. Also, the embedded systems targetted
>80186 processor is currently very good on the wattage as well.

But the G3 is helluva lot faster then any 486 you can find.

>And I suppose you also know that Mhz doesn't tell all that much. There
>are some specially designed chips out there that run at clocks of 600
>Mhz but are about as fast as 486 simply because every instruction
>takes a LOT of clockcycles. That's not bad design, just a different
>way of making a chip.

Yes, and that is EXACLY why I told you to compare the G3's SPECint95 and
SPECfp95 with just about any little PII. MHz doesn't count much, but the G3
is MHz for MHz faster then any Intel processor.

/Per Hjeltman

--
"According to the Infinite-Monkey Theorem: If we'd put an infinite number
 of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters, one would eventually bash

Do you believe in Macintosh? Please check out:
<http://www.evangelist.macaddict.com/>