Re: javier jimenez <jimenez@NETLINE.CL>: Tamagotchi

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: javier jimenez <jimenez@NETLINE.CL>: Tamagotchi

At 07:41 PM 9/10/97 GMT, Reinier Zwitserloot wrote:
>Having a tamagochi for a calculator is naturally impossible unless
>someone makes a device that attaches to the link port and extends the
>capbilities of the thing quite a bit:

First, I have to ask how much ASM you know, and how many applications you
have written using a timer of any form.  Then, I will counter all of your
arguments.

>1. Accurate timing device. The TI-8x series have a condensator system
>which means you can never be completely sure, and there is no way to
>keep time when the thing is off.

Timing can not be exact, but using an interrupt system you could time, for
21 days, with an error of about less than 1 minute.  True, there is no way
to keep time when off - or wait, are you wrong?

Time can be determined when off - when the calculator is off it is
constantly executing NOPs, looping indefinatly until a interrupt is done
(pressing ON is the only interrupt not masked).  This continually updates
the 'r' register (memory refresh register).  Problem is, r is an 8-bit
register.  That means with the current 85 speed, you can accurately
determine the time the calculator is off for around 6 seconds tops.  That
is a problem.  But there may be other ways by not masking other interrupts,
which I have been working on, or by an external device.  I originally
pointed this out in my reply.

>2. something that can catch your attention. a vibration unit as used
>in mobile phones and pagers, or a simple sound device.

Nope, we could run "sound off" mode, a tamagochi has this mode, or attach
it to the Jolt-85 pack which is in progress.  A tamagochi can work with out
sound.

>3. kilos of ROM.

The tamagochi itself has 9k of ROM 1k RAM.  And you mean RAM, not ROM btw.

>Artificial Intelligence is not all that hard in theory, it just takes
>a lot of space, or the writing of a radical new system that (usually)
>uses special hardware such as neuronetworks (That's a processor that
>doesn't work with 1's and 0's, but in 'yes, they sorta match' and
>'naw, looks nothing like what I have here :-P.' I am sure the little
>tamogotchi thing has something special.. either loads of ROM, or
>special hardware.

I know a lot obout AI.  The tamagochi has basically very minimal AI.  The
conditions of it's happiness, and hunger are very easy.

>Sure, I could make a little sprite that 'does' stuff, but it won't be
>as intelligent and annoying as the actual tamagochi. I can make doom
>on the ti-8x, and yet it won't be anything like it (Wolfenstein is
>another questoin.. as Daedalus proves, a raytracer can be done on the
>ti-8x. (raycaster is different!).

It wouldn't be that difficult.  We have more RAM than tamagochis' ROM and
RAM combined.

---
Evil Jim
Viva La Mexico
<eviljim@writeme.com>
http://members.tripod.com/~eviljim/
I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in pain like
the passengers in my car...

Follow-Ups: References: