Re: What chip!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What chip!

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:10:37 +0200, Per Hjeltman
<leahjn96@STUDENT.UMU.SE> wrote:

>>So when is TI going to put the new Intel chip (the one which will run
>>233MHz on a normal battery) into their calcs?!:->
>
>Why would anybody want an Intel chip in a calculator? They're far to
>complicated and could possibly contain serious errors. (The Pentium FDIV
>bug is a good example of that.)
>
>What I'd want is Motorola to put their G3 chip into a calc. It's a 266 MHz
>chip that consumes 4W and eats any Intel chip for breakfast. Look at any
>SPEC benchmark.

Like intel is the only chip with bugs. Just about every processor has
had bugs of some sort. the 386 was literally loaded with problems, and
ALL first public release versions of the multitude of 686 type
processors out there had some bug or other. he FDIV thing was just
badly handled by intel PR, and I assume some powerful media figure had
some beef with intel.

In fact, The first release of the G3 had two bugs :-P. I am pretty
sure that if you buy one now they won't have them anymore (just like
if you buy a p60 now it won't have the FDIV bug anymore.)

The Z80 is the basis of the intel 8080, which is what the 8086 is
based on. They are both SoftCISCy in nature, and in fact, their
architecture is based on the same principles. Indeed, I would not
surprise me if TI would have put an 80186 in the TI-92. It's really
just a more powerful version of the Z80 with loads of current embedded
systems software available for it.

as to running at low wattage, the 486 (which is the only notable
processor that no one has found any bugs for, it appears.), SL series,
is almost as good as the G3. Also, the embedded systems targetted
80186 processor is currently very good on the wattage as well.

And I suppose you also know that Mhz doesn't tell all that much. There
are some specially designed chips out there that run at clocks of 600
Mhz but are about as fast as 486 simply because every instruction
takes a LOT of clockcycles. That's not bad design, just a different
way of making a chip.

Follow-Ups: References: