Re: People are too dependant on calculators

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: People are too dependant on calculators

I grade papers for a college algebra class, and I think their use of ti-8x
calcs shortens the learning curve.  I know when I took algebra, I spent
most of my time memorizing tricks to figure out shifts, stretch,
reflection, max/min etc.  now you don't have to.

besides, if you go further into math, there are better techniques anyhow!
so much of the algebra I learned is obsolete.  I say that's a good thing.
If you stick with math, it lets the student AND the teacher move on to
more exciting topics. get into calculus, diff eq's, proofs, whatever much
sooner.

another point, for those interested, you can always learn the good stuff.
as a matter of fact, any good student push their learning as far as
possible.  I find that I'm still re-learning alot of what I thought was
"trivia", nothing wrong with that.

I say keep going and don't look back.  side bonus is it gets people out of
math that much quicker if they are determined to learn the minimals for
their degree.  sad I think, but why torture them with "useless"
information to be memorized, reguritated and forgotten?  I know I can live
with the minimal exposure I've had to classic lit!

J_Samuels (at) yahoo.com