Re: TI or HP? answered--A Modest Proposal

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI or HP? answered--A Modest Proposal

While you present an outstanding and logical argument, I think its a bit
much to say that you have answered this question once and for all!  I do
think that you are reflecting a common perception, though.  And as
anybody with any sense knows, a perception over a long enough time will
become an accepted truth.

What I would like to see is an objective comparison of several criteria;

1)  Capabilities
2)  Number and types of functions
3)  Accuracy
4)  Speed
5)  Programming support/programmability (somewhat subjective)

About the most complicated issue with the hp calculators over Ti calcs
as far as a "learning curve" goes in my opinion is learning RPN or
postfix notation.  To enter and invert a matrix on both calculators is a
trivial task; to plot any of the multiple plots either can do is also
trivial.  The Hp and Ti's can be as obscure and easy to use as each
other, depending on what you are familiar with.

I propose a fair and objective evaluation of the top of the line Ti's
with the Hp-48.  I am interested in comparing the actual abilities of
the Ti calculators (Ti-92, 86 & 83) in solving problems, plotting,
functionality, speed, accuracy, etc.  If you are a Ti-86, 83 or 92 owner
and wish to participate, please e-mail me.  I am in the process of
developing a standard battery of objective tests.  The idea is not to
prove which is best, as they all serve different purposes, but to
compare the capabilities of each so that people can have a common base
for discussion on the merits of each.

Thanks,

Mark Wilson