Texas Instruments TI-83/85/86 and CP/M?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Texas Instruments TI-83/85/86 and CP/M?

In article <34805b3f.153450223@news.scruz.net>, john r pierce
<antispam@here.not> writes
>Joseph Gaffney <gaffney@THETHINKER.COM> wrote:
>>There is no way of using C on this z80.  Even compiled, it would have the
>>wrong setup, as it is a highly modifed chip.  This is where I have run into
>>the problem.
>

>Wait. is it or isn't it a Z80??  If its a 'Z80', then it is a specific chip
>made
>by Zilog and cloned by various vendors, with a specific instruction set.  If
>its
>something else based on a z80 but 'highly modified', then it is NOT a Z80
>anymores.

Would it be the Texas Instruments calculators, Joseph? I've seen your
posts in bit.listserv.calc-ti. Certainly a compiled high-level language,
C or Pascal, say, would be a mighty improvement on TI-Basic for
programming the calcs.

        I posted here (c.o.cpm) a while ago (April) asking for
information from the CP/M gurus on this subject.

Will Rose replied:

In article <862189308.437823@optional.cts.com>, Will Rose <cwr@cts.com>
writes
>:         I use a standard 486 PC. The route I'm thinking of is to run a
>: CP/M emulator (I'm assessing Simeon Cran's MyZ80 at the moment), and a C
>: compiler (Hitech C, say) on the emulator to compile code, before going
>: back to Windows and downloading the code to the 83/85 via the TI Graph-
>: Link utility.
>
>I did a fair bit of Z80 development this way, only the download was
>to an EPROM programmer under MSDOS  -  I used the Z-system, and ran
>an alias (submit) file to load the compiler and my work onto the D
>drive (ramdisk) at startup, and another to save my work and quit MYZ80.
>Very fast turnaround...
>
>Will
>cwr@crash.cts.com

and:

In article <5m50u0$itn@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, Clarence Wilkerson
<wilker@hopf.math.purdue.edu> writes
>There is a "zshell" interface and loadable modules for the
>TI-85. My reading is that ordimary CPM binaries won't run
>because of the adress map, but perhaps could be recompiled.

Anybody else have an opinion?

I've cross-posted back to bit.listserv.calc-ti, as it seems to me that
some cross-fertilisation on these ideas might pay off.
--

Stuart Dawson            Dawson Engineering
sd@dawson-eng.demon.co.uk
Belfast, Northern Ireland   +44 1232 640669

Follow-Ups: References: