Re: Sun, rain killing a calc?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sun, rain killing a calc?

Stuart Dawson wrote:

> In article <3470CB94.194C@dana.ucc.nau.edu>, Jim Smith
> <jds29@dana.ucc.nau.edu> writes
>
> > I left mine in my truck in the sun for an
> >hour and now it's all messed up.
>
>         Is this a general problem with TI calcs? I use my 83 outside all
> the time, and sometimes in strong sunlight, the screen darkens and goes
> stripey, although it continues to work OK, and recovers when it gets
> into shade again.
>
>         I've wondered about it, but I didn't realise that Arizona-class
> sunshine would kill a calc. Anybody else know about this?

Just a thought, but the 85 is black, while your 83 is a grayish color.
I have used my 85 in strong sunlight and the case and buttons warm-up
quickly, but the screen warms up more slowly bucause it is a
light-greenish color.

Are you sure the heat didn't damage the batteries instead of the screen?

>         Also, more to the point in Northern Ireland in November, how
> rainproof are they? I've avoided getting more than a few drops on mine
> so far, but what if it got soaked?
> --
One way to find out :)  I have gotten some water on my 85, but no very
much (only a few drops).  I remember a kid at my school who spilled a
pop on his 85 two different times and it has survived, but is quite
sticky.  If it gets really wet, avoid turning it on for a while and take
out the batteries.

By the way, how cold-proof are they?

Todd

Follow-Ups: References: