Re: Which TI should I buy?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI should I buy?

Justin Smith wrote:

> In article <3457F33D.6FE3@ici.net>, keithrab@ici.net wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >         I am looking for a TI for use in high school and college math
courses
> > and for gaming.  It looks to me as if the 85 is best, but I thought I
> > would ask your opinons.  BTW, can the 86 run 85 software?
> > Please e-mail replies to be sure I get them.
> > Thanks!
>
> Hello Keith. The most versitile calculator out for high school and college
> math is the TI-92. I would recommend this. By the way, the 86 can sue the
> 85's software with minor changes.

I would be wary about the TI-92 for high-school math. It is perfectly
fine for math courses, but don't plan on bringing that bad boy into any
of the standardized tests. (SAT, ACT...) Stick with the general ones,
ie. the 83 or the 86. There was a discussion a while ago on whether the
82 or the 85 are "outdated". If you plan on taking basic math courses,
the 85 or the 82 would probably work, but the 82s nor the 85s have much
capabilities (AFAIK) in advanced statistics or polar and complex number
graphing, so watch out.

Personally, I have an 83, and if they were available at the time I was
looking for a calc, I would have gone with an 86.
--
| Ryan "Grommit" Avery    grommit@concentric.net |

Follow-Ups: References: