Re: Which TI should I buy?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI should I buy?

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Ryan Avery wrote:
) ilya winham wrote:
) > Excuse me, you are simply wrong!! The 82 and 85 are the least obselete
) > calculators around. Sure, the 86 and 83 are newer but so what?
) I think the issue here is how one defines "obsolete." Matt, the previous
) poster (deleted it to save space) believes that "obsolete" describes an
) object that has a better, newer successor. You, on the other hand,
) define "obsolete" as worthless, or something along those lines.
That's what obsolete means.
My Webster's New World Dictionary defined obsolete as "no longer in use or
practice; discarded," which to me means, well, it's no longer in use.
Seeing as how my school district forces every student who is entering
Pre-Calculus to acquire a TI-85 (they will accept a TI-86, but recommend
against acquiring one because the course curriculum was written with a
TI-85 in mind and the teachers are trained for use with TI-85's, not
86's), I can not see how one could say the 85 is no longer in use or
practice.

) The same logic goes into purchacing a computer. Do you absolutely NEED
) the best and the fastest? If so, get a new "Deschutes" PII when they
) come out. If not, then get a P133. People still use them, and most
) programs still run. (Hence ilya's logic)
)
) But be forewarned. Everyone will soon have a new Deschutes PII, and
) you'll be left in the dust with that obsolete p133. (Matt's logic)
HAHAHHAAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH
"Everyone will soon have a new [top of the line PC], and you'll be left in
the dust with that [*]obsolete p133[*]" just makes me have to go to the
bathroom from excessive laughter.
My 6 year old i486DX2/66, with 16 meg of RAM, has served me faithfully and
much more than adequately for those years I have had it, and none of my
120+ users nor any of the list owners of the almost 50 mailing lists I run
seem to have any problems with it either, even with the load of running an
httpd, several ircds, many eggdrop bots (ugg), mail server, etc. I can
even play MIDI files and mp3 images and have no degradation in quality
except in times of ultra-high load...
If it suits the person's needs, there is no reason to upgrade, even if
someone on some mailing list somewhere calls it (PC, calculator, microwave
oven) "obsolete."

--
Daniel Reed <n@narnia.n.ml.org>
System administrator of narnia.n.ml.org (narnia.mhv.net [199.0.0.118])