Re: accelerate/turboing the ti-92?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: accelerate/turboing the ti-92?

The acceleration that is commonly referred to when talking about the Z80s
in the TI8x series is by 'overclocking'. historic examples of overclocked
chips:

The pentium 66 Mhz chips out there. Some of them where actually real
misnomers, they had a plain old (buggy at the time) intel Pentium 60 Mhz
chip in them. (confusion often caused by the designer: 60 Mhz? but that's
lower than the dx2! must be 66.) However, most of these 66Mhz Pentiums were
overclocked 60s. overclocking 6Mhz won't do much damage, but truth is, you
are burning your chip to speeds it can't stand. the peoples at intel do
some very precise testing to figger out exactly how much a chip can handle.
(In fact, you can take a p75, and overclock it to 166. I doubt it would
last more than 2 minutes before it goes, thou.).

In the TI8x series, someone overclocked their CPU. It's a lot easier in
them, because you merely have to rip out a capacitator that catching some
of the pulses. At this moment, no adverse effects of overclocking TI's has
been found. However, due to the heavy increase in speed, I wonder why TI
put in those cacacitators.. Anyway, DUALCLOCKING, which is what you are
referring to, has never been tried on TIs. It would probably be possible,
but there isn't a lot of space in that thing, and it would probably turn
out to be waay too expensive.
--
-R.Zwitserloot@BTInternet.com

Robert Kidd <rkidd@abelink.com> wrote in article
<866235476mnewsrkidd@abelink.com>...

> > The TI-81 & TI-85 can be turboed by changing the C9 capacitor.
> > The TI-82 & TI-83 can be turboed by changing the C6 capacitor.
> >
> > But I was wondering if anyone knows how to speed up a TI-92 (NOT 82)!
Any