Re: One page should be enough.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: One page should be enough.

On Tue, 27 May 1997, James Sulak wrote:

> Hey, I've got some web space bought on Superb.net that I need to use
> (failed business venture).  Superb.net's service is great (rated number
> one).  Check out thier qualifications at www.superb.net .  I was going to
> get rid of the space because I couldn't pay for it, but this does sound
> like a great idea.  I'll talk it over with my friend who also owns part of
> it, but I think he will agree.  Anyone interested in investing $5 or so
> dollars in a good collection of TI-calc homepages?  If so, I'm interested
> in managing it! Contact me at james@superb.net!  Thanks for your time.

I don't think this is a good idea. If 10 or so people 'invest' their $5,
that's $50. I'm not really expecting more than that. After that $50 is
used up, who is going to pay? Web space is expensive.

The main reason people aren't going to pay $5 is because they have a
perfectly good site (ticalc.org) to go to. Why PAY for another site?
TI-Files has already caused problems, so what would another
all-encompassing site do?

Here's what I think should happen:

* Keep ticalc.org. I would like to see a REAL mirror of it.
* Kill TI-Files and this TI-Community idea. They are not needed, since
we've got ticalc.org.
* Keep the specific pages. (83 Asm Archive, TFA, etc..) They give you
in-depth info (like the short description per new program in TFA.), that
ticalc.org doesn't.
* People with these wanna-be archives should shut down and switch to more
specific stuff, like Fargo/ZShell/83/whatever programming. That would
benefit us much more that tons of redundancy.
* ticalc.org should keep a catagorized list of the specific sites, so that
if you want to find a page about TI-Basic programming quickly, you could.

This way, when someone wants to see the latest programs, they would go to
ticalc.org. If they want more info on a specific topic, they would go to
the site list, and choose their topic.

Just my idea of an ideal system.

-Tim
--
Tim P. Gerla | timg@means.net | http://timg.home.ml.org/ | Tybstar@IRC

"...Prodigy Internet is the first service that allows you
to be online and on the Internet at the same time."
- Prodigy ad, Computer Shopper, Dec '96

Follow-Ups: References: