Re: ZSHELL?????

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ZSHELL?????

I'll have to agree with Nick on this.  Even though the MacOS seems
laughable to some, it's only because of ignorance about the platform.  If
you had a Mac and a PC running Windows, you would realize why many people
prefer Macintosh- I do. Our drafting lab at school bought 7 pentium 166's
with 1.2GB HD's, 32MB RAM, 4XCD-ROM, and 17-in. monitors.  Nice systems,
huh?  No.  By the end of the year, I had reverted to a 286/16-based
system to do CAD work with.  Why? The Pentiums were TOTALLY AND
COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE!

Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not insulting the PC.  I beleive that the
PC running DOS was excellent. However, that's as far as it should have
gone.  The PC is not designed to do the things that people need it to do
(although a PII/266 with DOS6 is _very_ cool for games.) The Macintosh
was.  In the four years I've had my OLD Mac, the number of times I've
been unable to access data when I needed to: 1, and it was my fault. I
was messing with my HD in a hex editor.  And then I just used my Newton,
which has _never_ crashed on me.
Maybe a PC (or WindowsCE) is cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

A final note: When IDC recently calculated the TCO (Total cost of
ownership) for personal computers, meaning they calculated how many times
said computer would need repairing or software upgrades, or data recovery
services, new hardware, etc., they found that the average Macintosh
computer, although the sticker price was almost double that of a
comparable PC, cost LESS to own than a PC and was much more reliable. The
cost was a lot less (about $4000.  I don't remember the exact figure.).

James Douglas Yopp, Jr.
Head Programmer, Intronics
Supreme Master of This Reality
"Time bends to a man. Only confident men, however,
can control the bend without breaking themselves."