Re: 32k ain't enough. SFExp is one way, but how about this:

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 32k ain't enough. SFExp is one way, but how about this:

Hmmm, memory doesn't work serial-like. It is (usually) connected to the cpu
and works with a databus system. ie:

there is power on the clock wire, which essentially means 'all is normal'.
Now the processor writes the physical adress it wants on the adressbus, and
sets the direction bit if it wants data. Then it toggles the clock wire to
0 and back to 1, which causes the memory to fetch the memory and put it in
the data bus. Then the processor reads it. to write, it puts the adress on
the adress bus, then writes the data to the data bus, clears the direction
bit (write to memory), and toggles the clock cycle.

It's kinda hard to fit that all into a link cable.

The memory on the Bubble Chip on the SF doesn't work that way. it works
serially. However, I don't think it makes life easier than a diskdrive,
which work serial-like by nature, rather than using a clock wire.

Currently I'm looking into a method of using a simple music tape and
walkman. I know you can send plain music through the link port, I know you
can store data on tapes (from the C64 days), and therefore I'm pretty sure
it should be possible to write data to a music tape. It will be annoying to
use, but it's cheap and allows you to take loads of data where-ever.

Of course, you need a driver (i'm working on it all), and backups aren't
possible, just like the SF.

--
-R.Zwitserloot@BTInternet.com

Matt Maurano <mtm@maurano.com> wrote in article