Re: cool patterns

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cool patterns

Michael Xu Wang  (wangm@SLIP.NET) did say:

>A couple days ago, someone put up a simple TI-basic program to have the
>negative of what is on the graph screen.  I modified it a little bit.
>
>: Input A
>: Input B
>: For(C,1,62,A)
>: For(D,1,94,B)
>: Pxl-Change(C,D)
>: End
>: End
>
>Repeat this program several times with different values of A and B, and
>you will get some cool patterns.  [...]

i wrote something like this years ago on my ti85 (i think that my program
began it's life as a screen-inverter too) but then i took it a stage further
and made the calculator pick its own values of A and B at random. it also
chose the starting coordinates (off the bottom-left of the screen) and how
many iterations to make (3 or 4, i think). yes, you do get some neat patterns
(sometimes).

i always thought that the next step would be to programme the calculator to
ask you to rate the aesthetic appeal of each pattern after it had created it.
then the calc could (er, somehow) start to build up some sort of idea of which
are 'good' numbers and then pick variables more intelligently! :)

        bart

ps my all-time favourite simple-but-fun-using-random-numbers program has to be
'Random Lunches' - a random sandwich generator which started out on my ti81 (?
blue thing). it chose (from in-built lists) a type of bread, a type of spread,
a wet filling and a dry filling. it always used to come up with some
delightfully gross combinations. :)

pps it also told you how many combinations were possible and how many
ingredients would be required for a Random Lunches party (not that we ever had
one)!

--
Bart, Ipswich, UK. barticle@hotmail.com or barticle@cyberspace.org
"...merely a series of sensory impulses which you now realise have