Re: OS-82 Review

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OS-82 Review

At 10:54 AM 8/7/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>There is still too much "toddlers@erinet.com", "Jason Todd", and
>>"Alphasoft" floating about in the program.
>
>He doesn't have a right to let everyone know that this is his program?

Sure he does...he just OVERDOES it.

>>The advertisement at the BOTTOM of the shell isn't really needed (along
>>with the stupid looking line).
>
>Same.

Same thing here.

>>Not enough programs are listed per page.
>
>Is this because of the window size?

Yep.

>>Limited by Jason Todd's window size for a title.
>
>Is it a predetermined window size? Or does the size vary but has a defined
>max?

Pre-determined.

>>Forced to have his programs on your calc when you first transfer the backup.
>
>I've noticed that many authors of shells do this with new distributions of
>their shells, but I understand.  But, you don't have to overwrite what you
>have, and you can also ungroup files, correct?

You can delete them...they are just an annoyance.

>>"Powering Down" the calc (I normally quit the shell so I can use my
>>linkport, do math stuff, or just shut down...I don't really care about the
>>"Power Down" "feature")
>
>Just because it has no use to you doesn't mean that it won't have use to
>others.

Well, he could just have an option when you first start the shell to remove
the main menu and the "power down" option.

>>"All" ROM_CALLs supported...yeah, right.  Only WITH the ASH <-> OShell-82
>>Development Kit v1.0 are ALL the ROM_CALLs supported in OShell-82.
>
>And you talk about him trying to plug in a little advertisement?

My advertisement isn't plastered all over a program tons of people use (his
is).

>>This shell has a LOT of work that needs to be done on it before it will
>>have lots more good features than bad.  It has the basic concept of being
>>able to run programs...but all these added "features" just make it bigger,
>>clunkier, and decrease the value of the program.
>
>Depends on your take on it.  Who knows what other people are looking for,
>and an author looks to please the general public (and himself).

A lot of people agree with my opinion of what a shell should be.  Read my
document on "What is a shell?" and you also will most likely agree with
what I have to say.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org