Re: 83 Order of Operation & ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 83 Order of Operation & ASM

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Dave Wollenberg wrote:

> 2. A friend of mine from school with an 83 tried running an asm program.
> It seemed to run ok, but the next day when he turned it on and pressed y=,
> the clac displayed garbage pixels all over the screen, and froze. I tried
> doing stuff like taking out a battery and pressing on 10 times, or taking
> out a battery and holding on for like 10 seconds, but it didn't work. All
> that happens is that when you turn it on, you get the screen it froze at,
> and you can't press any buttons, so I can't reset it the "normal" way.
> When I've run messed up ASM programs, taking out a batteryu and
> pressing on always fixed it, but thats not working now. What can he do to
> fix it?

I'm not sure how safe this is but when I crash my 83, I open the
back and quickly pull one end of one of the batteries up to break
the contact and then push it back into place.  If you do this real
fast it clears memory and you get a fresh start.

I have tried waiting a few seconds but that doesn't usually work.
Doing it very quickly does.

This may be shortening the life of my 83, I don't know.  I don't
think I care if it doesnt shorten it too much.

Barry