Re: System/8X: Question about ASCII strings

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

"Riley McArdle" <mechsys@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I am programming the strings and string manipulation daemons for System/8X
>right now and wanted to get some of you programmers' opinions.  I am trying
>to decide if I should use the standard ASCII character set, or make my own
>for System/8x.  If I made my own, it would take up slightly less memory, but
>if I use the standard ASCII, it will be more compatible with computers.  I
>also could just make a little program to convert to/from ASCII from/to
>System/8X strings.  What are your thoughts?
>
>System/8X Status Bar:  [XXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO] 10%
>
>--

ASCII. There are ways to store/code characters wich are no part of standard
ASCII in ASCII. For example vowels with two dots above (Finnish, German,
Hungarian ...). If you change to not-ASCII it's necessary to define new coding
conventions for such characters. To be compatible, I would vote for ASCII.

Cheers,
Gunter