Re: Which TI does your school require

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

spowell@sun1.iusb.edu (Simone P Powell) wrote:

>Hello, I am a Precalculus teacher who needs some information to pass on
>to may students this fall.  I will be encouraging them to buy a TI
>calculator of their choice.  However I would like to present to them
>a list of Universities and the TI calculators they require.  For example,
>Indiana university at South Bend requires TI-82 for thier Pre-Calculus
>Mathematics course.  I am not just interested in Precalculus.  I am
>interested in the type of required calculator your university requires
>and for what course weather it be Precalculus, Linear Algebra, and so on.
>Please specify the Univesity, Course, and calculator.  I feel this
>information would be extreemly valuable to a high school studnet trying
>to determine which calculator is best for their needs.  I also intend to
>provide them with specs found on the TI home page.  If I get enough
>replies, I will be happy to post the results for all to see.  Thanks for
>your time and cooperation.--

I just got out of PreCalc in High School and am moving up to AP Calc.
next year. Our district recommended the TI-82 because of its ease of
use, but I owned a TI-85 and used it the entire year with half the
problems (actually, I didn't have a single problem with it except for
tables, which I found a program for quickly) that the 82 users had.
For example, the 82 can do up to 69 factorial, while the 85 does up to
449. The higher power of 85's and the relatively small difference in
price bewteen the two sold me and most of our class. My 85 can do
everything an 82 can do, faster, and much more. I highly recommend the
85 for high-school and lower-level college math courses.

  "God was a Gendian Knight before He took the Universe in hand.." -Ulath
   Justin "Skale" Hall    <a href="mailto:halldp@one.net">halldp@one.net</a>   http://w3.one.net/~halldp/