Re: HP48 vs TI-92

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs TI-92

Justin Dossey wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Mark P. Wilson wrote:
>
> > did not impress me as a speedster.  But honestly, how many kids sit
> > there in the middle of a test shaking their calc and screaming "Graph
> > damn you! The other kids were done a second ago!!""?
>
> I don't do that, but I do get mad when i'm 5 minutes behind the TI people
> on differentiation.
>
> -justin dossey-

Are you saying you need a calculator to do differentiation!?
Integration I can see, because there are some really squirrely integrals
out there, but differentiation?!  How does the kid with the Casio
survive?

Give me a couple examples of differentiation that require a calculator.
I went through high school AP calc, five college undergrad, and two grad
level calculus courses without ever needing a calculator to whip out a
differentiation.

And my big beef with the Ti-92 was that people wouldn't learn
integration because the calc did it for them!  Now I've got to dislike
the Ti-85, Hp-48, etc because they are keeping people from learning
integration.

Big heavy sigh.

Note:  If I misinterpreted what you meant, please correct.  If not, I'm
really concerned....
<pre>
--
Mark Wilson