Re: 83 versions

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 83 versions

On Aug 12, Mark Malley wrote:

> DA>Geez, all I have is 1.010.
>
> DA>Can sombody with a higer rom vers. do this problem and tell me the result,
> DA>please?
>
> DA>i^7
>
> -3E-13-i  the first two - are negative the last one is minus!  I have
> 1.0200

This result is due to rounding error.  Mathematically, i^7 should be
"0 - i", but instead the TI-83 gives "-3E-13 - i", which is "-
0.0000000000003 - i", which is pretty close, but not perfect. For
another (similar) example, try

     sin(0)
     sin(pi)
     sin(2pi)
     sin(3pi)
     sin(4pi)

on a TI-82 or TI-83.

I wouldn't expect the i^7 problem to be "fixed" in future ROM
versions -- users have to expect rounding errors. Rounding error
frequently leads to inaccurate results, and it pays to keep in mind
that it is always a possibility when doing numerical calculations on
a calculator or computer.  And rounding errors do not always lead to
answers that are only off by a little -- sometimes they have larger
consequences (sorry I don't have any immediate examples of this).

Evan Romer                                   Susquehanna Valley HS
sv_golden@SUNYbroome.edu                          Conklin NY 13748