Re: A92: The results. (was TIOS: Can't live with is. Can't live withou

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: The results. (was TIOS: Can't live with is. Can't live without it?)

> Keep in mind that a CLI would be largely useless to '89 users, which are
> most of the market now.  (i.e. no qwerty keyboard, so menu navigation would
> be faster than typing if the menus are thoughtfully laid out.)

Again... the 89 is irrelavent.  I already said that the TI-92 was the target
as Fargo would be needed.  I'm not worried about the 89/92+ users.  They have
extra memory anyway.

> Why not archive it temporarily?
> Freeing it in any other way (short of compression) will essentially reset
> your calculator, as far as I can tell.

Last I checked, the TI-92 does not have archive memory.

> I think a well-laid-out menu system would be better...I'm a fast typist,
> but with a fixed library of commands, menus are faster.  And, people--stop
> trying to implement mouse pointers on the '92 GUIs like Prosit.  We have
> cursor keys only.  Keyboard navigation (tab-tab-tab-tab-space) would be faster.

Uh... cursor keys do just fine with mouse pointers.  Granted it's not the best
solution.

> > I would also warn against using any existing interfaces.
>
> Why not?  The best way to get around the large system footprint is to use
> their routines--their fonts, their menus, their file system....

The context was for the DESIGN of an interface.  I meant to be original when
designing a new interface.  Too many people are obsessed with the "Start"
menu interface.  Anyway, the file system is not part of the interface.  That's
an OS issue (file management).

====
Aaron Hill (Redmond, Wash.)
Electronic Mail: serac@lightmail.com