Re: A92: C Compiler on the TI

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: C Compiler on the TI

> > There already is a C compiler for the TI89 and 92+.  It's called TIGCC
>
> I guess he was talking about an on-calc compiler which I find completely
> useless.

I wouldn't find an on-calc C compiler useless but impossible.  None of the
TI platforms have the resources for a decent, on-calc C compiler.  So then
any possible compiler would be useless.

It seems that there has been of late much discussion about writing on-calc
assemblers, compilers, and other programming languages.  Probably the main
reason being is that we do not always have a computer available to program
our calculators.  Sure I can remember many times in math class, I'd wished
I could program my 92 (excluding TI-BASIC).  I usually just wrote out some
instructions on paper with the intent to try them when I got home.  What I
wonder now is how good an on-calc assembler would have been?  I don't know
about you, but I've crashed my calculator more times then I have crashed a
computer in my life.  The on-calc assembler probably would be the one that
crashed, because I had a bad source file.

What I'm trying to get to is that our wonderful TI calculators, that we so
fondly call computers, are nothing more than an embedded-system.  They are
no better than your thermostat, microwave, washing machine, etc. . . .

Okay, that was a little much, but not wrong.  This way of thinking affects
our programming too.  Why would anyone want to write an on-microwave C/C++
compiler?  (Actually all of programmers that pop popcorn or wave something
for a midnight, programming snack would.)  I think it's about time we stop
over-glorifying this piece of plastic and silicon.  No, I am not saying we
stop programming for it.  No, I am not saying we must only do "calculator-
type" things with it.  No, I am not saying that all programmers eat snacks
at midnight while programming.  (Hmm...)  I'm saying that we need to focus
on the platform when we consider what and how to program.

Now all of you probably have a new e-mail opened ready to flame me.  I can
understand so if you do, please send them to me ONLY (serac@lightmail.com)
and not to the list.  (Trying to keep the list free from useless junk.)

Creativity and innovation are great, but I think most of us can tell which
ideas are just plain silly and a waste of time.

====
Aaron Hill (Redmond, Wash.)
Electronic Mail: serac@lightmail.com
IRC Nickname: serac (on EF-Net)