Re: A92: Flash ROM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: Flash ROM

Nicolas Ochem schrieb:
> Hello
> I was thinking about a thing which could be a great way of increasing the
>  archive memory on the TI-92 Plus.
> Since 1995, Ti released the TI-92 with the ROM in a cartridge, who was put in
>  the place the Plus module is now. This was called "external ROM". That was
>  to make it possible to easily change the ROM in the future.
> But later, TI realized that the Flash technology could be a better way of
>  updating ROM, and so they stopped putting ROM in a Module and soldered it
>  directly in the "motherboard" of the calculator. These ROMs were called
>  "1.11 internal" and "1.12 internal".
> Now, the Plus module is there, with a totally new ROM support.
> But, in the case of the calculators, who used to have the internal 1.11 or
>  1.12 rom, and now have the Plus module, like mine, there is actually 2 ROM,
>  one totally unused.
> I think they must be lots of common points on both rom.
There are, as you can find out using a simple string searcher on the roms,so, if
you know correct addresses in the 'old' rom you can call routines there.
A.K.
 For example, some
>  Plus apps are exactly like the former version (for example, data/matrix
>  editor, text editor, y=, table, etc...). So, I think both ROM have a lot of
>  data in common, and consequently in duplicate.
> In this group, some of you found out that the former ROM can still be
>  accessed  :
> > $200000-$2fffff: OLD TI92 ROM
> So, in the Flash ROM, we could replace the parts which are in duplicate by a
>  single reference to the place in the old ROM where the corresponding data. I
>  think that if I'm right, we could earn about 500 ko of archive memory.
> What do you think of that ?
> Nicolas

You are right, perhaps TI could do that, but it wouldn't provide more archive
memory as this starts at $5a0000(sometimes at $590000, I don't know why )with
lots of free space below. So, you must find out all the system variables that
deal with the archive and change them to a convenient point. Result: disassemble
the rom to find out how this works, that is like looking for a pin in a heap of
hey.		A.K.