A92: Why there haven't been Fargo updates for a while...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A92: Why there haven't been Fargo updates for a while...

First of all, let me say this: I'm still alive. :-)

My computer broke down about a week ago. I can still do a clean boot to
DOS, but when I try to boot to Linux or Win95, divide overflows happen
-- sometimes predicatably, sometimes randomly. It is a hardware problem
without a doubt, though I'm not sure whether it's the processor,
motherboard, RAM, or maybe a combination of the above. I do believe it
was waiting to happen. That system was never very stable, and recently I
had needed to keep a large fan aimed at my case, set to medium or high,
in order to avoid crashes from happening all the time.

Shortly before this happened, I had Fargo 0.2.6 ready to be released.
Unfortunately when I went to release it, there was some net trouble
between me and ticalc.org, so I postponed it. And shortly after that,
events happened which led to my computer system failing. It's a long
story.

I have ordered a new system (motherboard, processor, RAM, case, and
power supply), and this time, I've refused to make the same mistake as
when I bought my last system. I've customized this new system to be
top-of-the-line and super-stable. And, I've bought it from a company
whose policy is to provide modern, stable components for both businesses
and individuals. Hmmm, that sounds like an ad, doesn't it. :-)

Anyway, it should arrive in about a week. (I can hardly wait!) In the
meantime, there won't be any new Fargo releases, and email sent to me
will go unanswered -- though when my new system arrives, I will try to
answer the messages that will have stacked up by then (including those
that have already been sent to me).

In case you're wondering, I sent this message using my dad's Macintosh.
I was initially reluctant to do so, but I finally decided it would be
best if I did. This required that I download an email client (sure, I
could've telneted to the sendmail port, but that would've been even
worse). I also used this Mac to do web research on mail-order companies
from which to buy my new system. However I am *very* reluctant to
download my mail (inbox) on any machine other than my own PC.

Also in case you're wondering, one of the new features in Fargo 0.2.6 is
the supported ability to create tibasic-interfaced functions and
programs which can take parameters and return values. If the demand for
this is great enough, I suppose I can have it released, but I won't be
able to conveniently autogenerate the preinstalled backups until I have
a working PC again. Note that I am able to read this mailing list via
the archive on ticalc.org, and have been doing so.