LF: Floating-Points and Trig...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LF: Floating-Points and Trig...

Greetings,

I am new to this list.  I hope that I can get all of my questions answered...

First things: I am *not* a very good Assembler programmer.  I can program circles around any gurus of BASIC (incl. Visual BASIC).  I just started reading the Motorola 68000 Programmer's Manual.  I think I understand enough Assembler to be daring.  Here are some questions I have...

Floating-Points:  As far as I know (from reading the docs from Motorola), the MC68000 that is in the TI-92 does not natively support floating-point arithmetic.  Does anyone know of a way to simulate floating-point support?  The only solution I came up with was to "scale up" all of my decimals to the point that I could perform the standard integer operations and not "lose" my accuracy.  Would this be a viable alternative?

Trigonometry:  I am a senior in high school (this '97-'98 year).  I have finished Pre-Calculus during my Junior year.  I know about the sequence that simulates a Sin(x) function.  I could probably impliment this function, but I fear that I am going to take a big performance hit.  The sequence requires about four or five iterations to most accurately represent the Sin(x) function.  Here is the sequence (in "ti-math"):
	PwrSin(x)=x - x^3/(3!) + x^5/(5!) - x^7/(7!) + x^9/(9!) ...
This function will work (I have tested it on my TI-92 and with BASIC on my computer).  It is however much slower that the floating-point Sin(x).  The only solution I could think of is to impliment a pseudo-Sin-Table.  This table would take up some space in the program.  Howver, I think that it would be faster; I require a faster function and would not mind to sacrifice a little extra memory.  Has anyone implimented a Sin-Table or does anyone have a fast version of the PwrSin(x) function?

Thanks for any information you can give me...
----
Aaron Hill(mozart@inlink.com)
[http://www.inlink.com/~mozart/index.htm
The Corner of the Internet You Never Knew Existed... COMING SOON!!]