Re: LF: Links?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: Links?

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Josh Hays wrote:

> Because, TI Master, to build a replica of the official TI graph-link
> would require a lot of equipment that would bring the price up much
> higher than the current homemade models cost to build.  It would also
> complicate the building process.  Basically, since the TIs have no
> flow control built in, the Graph Link controls the rate of flow
> through hardware.  The other cables (I think; don't quote me on this)
> do this through software and thus aren't able to use the official
> graph link software.

The single biggest difference between the TI GRAPH-LINK and any other link
cable (homebuilt or otherwise) is that only the GRAPH-LINK actually
converts standard, 9600 bps RS-232 to TI's custom protocol (and vice
versa). All the other cables rely on PC software to control the lines of
the serial port directly to emulate TI's protocol. That's why only the
GRAPH-LINK is usable on a mac.

-Isaac

<pre>
--