[A89] Clarification

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Clarification

 to clear a few things up :)

1. KerNO (of which I'm the author) does not support kernel based programs, and never will. So, I prefer to call it a "kernel like" program or more simply stated: The Kernel that Never Was, Never Will Be, and Always Shall Be. If you are looking for a good kernel to run kernel based programs, i recommend PreOS, or UniversalOS. KerNO is designed to work with NOSTUB programs only.

2. AMS 2.08 was recalled because of problems with linking and the black cable AFAIK. Hopefully, TI will be re-releasing it soon :) I have 89, 92p, and v200 copies from the first time they released it.

3. The clock feature on AMS 2.08 is run from Auto Interrupt 3, and is extremely accurate on HW2 calcs (based off a RTC crystal). HW1 calcs do not have this, and the AI3 frequency fluctuates around 0.616322/second versus 1/second on my TI-89 HW1. ie, in a 60 second time frame, my hw1 calc will trigger ai3 ~87 times.

IF an older asm game is run that uses OSSetSR(0x700) to disable interrupts for row reading during game play, the clock will loose time. In this case, the clock will loose time because AI3 was not allowed to execute its 3 or so lines of ASM and update the system clock by adding one second to the time. So don't be surprised if you run an older game, and it makes the clock loose time.

In my mind, the best way to _rowread now, is to disable the necessary auto interrupts (1 and 5) by redirecting them to a dummy handler (rte) rather than using ossetsr.

4. Large ASM games on 2.08 are not broken. If you are having problems with PPG compressed programs, it is because of a bug in the launcher, NOT because of new limitations. Solution: get the latest version of ttstart, and your programs will run.

5. AMS 2.08 is very nice for the TI-92p/V200 HW2 calcs otherwise, don't bother. (I own a 89 hw1, 92p hw2, and a v200) Additionally, i believe that ams 2.08 takes an extra 64k of flash on the ti-89 (not on the 92p/v200) due to sector boundaries.

Regards,
Greg Dietsche
GForce Programming:   http://calc.gregd.org
Detached Solutions:      http://www.detachedsolutions.com