[A89] Re: VTI Problem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: VTI Problem

There is no difference between a real ROM image and the update file. A ROM
image is a copy of the software that's presumably coming from the ROM.
However, since we have FlashROM, it goes both ways. We can put a ROM image
on the calc, or get a ROM image from the calc.

So, presuming you have the .89u file, here is what should happen.
Download vti.zip from www.graphicsstudio.net (Rusty's new web site. Looks
like ACZ is never going to finish the "work" on that "new site" of theirs).
Anyway, unzip the vti.zip program into a VTI directory. Copy the
ti89base.89u file into the same VTI directory BEFORE you run the program. It
should recognize the image.

If it does not, there could be a problem with the registry. It may be
necessary to delete the registry keys associated with VTI for it to reset to
a clean installation. Here is how to do this: (WARNING, IF YOU SCREW UP THE
REGISTRY, OR ACCIDENTALLY DELETE OR MODIFY SOMETHING, OR I JUST F**K UP THE
DIRECTIONS, YOUR SYSTEM COULD DIE! USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK,
AND MAKE A BACKUP OF THE CURRENT REGISTRY FIRST!!!)

Okay, now that we're done with that, I will try to be very careful with my
directions...

Run regedit (Start Menu - Run - type regedit in the box and press ENTER)
Expand the folder marked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Expand the subfolder marked Software

Inside that will be a folder marked ACZ. It will most likely only have
Virtual TI in it, but maybe there are other ACZ keys I don't know about. If
you have other ACZ programs, some settings may be lost when we do this next
step, but the program should not be damaged in any way. Afterall, the keys
were created, they weren't there, so they can always be recreated by the
same program that created them in the first place. Okay.

Click on the ACZ folder. Click the Registry Menu and select the export
registry file option. Save it with a file name, all the other options can be
left as their defaults, though you may want to choose a different folder to
save the file in. This is your backup registry key. If something bad happens
to your ACZ programs, we can use this to go back to where we were before we
edited the registry.

Now, click the edit menu and select delete. Choose YES when it asks if you
want to delete this key. Now exit the registry. Now restart VTI with the
.89u file already in the directory before the "first" time it is run (and by
first time, I mean the first time after deleting the registry key).

If it does not recognize it as a TI-89 ROM, well, I'm not sure where to go
from here. Let me know what happens...

Hope this helps,

John David Ratliff
jdratlif@cs.indiana.edu