[A89] Re: TI-GCC enum question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A89] Re: TI-GCC enum question

>I used to think C's bloat was horrible, until I saw that Niklas Brunlid was
>able to make Prosit better and faster in C than ASM because it was just too
>complex for disorganized ASM.  I've been using C for the last year after
>using ASM almost exclusively, and I've been amazed at how much more I've
>been able to accomplish.  The bloat really is worth having more new and
>complex programs, and I imagine that C++ would still be beneficial for this
>reason (and if used right, it really shouldn't be too bloated!).

I don't see how C++ is going to help anyone. C++ usually isn't radically
different enough (from C) to make much of a difference in the
sophistication of a project.

I also think (but I'm not 100% certain) that C++ drags in some very large
libraries. I know this is true for older versions of GCC because Sega
advised against using C++ for Saturn development in a FAQ which is included
with their SH-2-targeted build of GCC.

Even nowadays, with the latest distribution of DJGPP, GCC uses library
functions for certain arithmetic operations. The Saturn GCC compiler can't
handle shifts with a variable count (like: i = (1 << j);) and I think even
X86-targeted GCCs succumb to this, IIRC. I can only cringe when I think of
how C++ will affect library usage!

Bart