Re: A89: Me distributing roms

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Me distributing roms

That is not the case.  There are international agreements, certianly,
but there are MANY countries which don't participate in those
agreements.  If they choose not to, there is nothing we can do.

However, most of the industrialized countries who want to import to
america are forced into such agreements, thus, many countries do follow
(loosely) certian world-wide copyright laws, and they will try those who
break those laws.

To discuss the TI roms on their site:

The reason they don't like others distributing them is that they can't
gurantee that the receiver will see and agree to the end-user
agreement.  When you get it off their site you agree to certian terms,
which preclude redistribution, among other things.

Many are saying that once somthing is placed on the internet, it is
public domain.  THAT VIEW IS COMPLETELY FALSE.  Do not even try to argue
that when a person connects their computer to the internet and serves
information from it, that everything on it is public domain.  The server
is theirs, and they hold the copyright to everything on it, down to the
directory structure, excepting info and software that may have come from
another entity.  If they state "The following file is available for
owners of our product yyyzzz, any and all other use is forbidden."  Then
you are legally obligated, according to the laws under which you reside,
to abide by the right of the copyright holder to make that statement,
and you must follow it (otherwise you are undertaking a blatantly
criminal act).

If someone in lower garantula, where copyright laws do not apply,
downloads the info and uses it to cause murder and mayhem, oh well.  If
they provide it on their site for others to download without stating
such restrictions, then others who have similar laws can do the same as
them.  HOWEVER, you, in a country which DOES have copyright laws, CANNOT
legaly download and use that info, because EVEN THOUGH YOU GOT IT FROM A
DIFFERENT SITE, THE ORIGINAL COMPANY STILL OWNS THE RIGHT TO ALL COPIES
IN YOUR COUNTRY, WHICH DOES HAVE COPYRIGHT LAWS.

Now, I hope this clarifies a few things for some of you.

Feel free to end this thread at any time.

-Adam

Serial wrote:

> The law is not the law. On the internet your NOT UNDER LAWS. I mean god
> dammit, if you need so much example, what if you live in austrillia, and
> what if austrillia said we dont enforce internet laws. How the hell would
> you be breaking a law!

Follow-Ups: References: