From: M. Adam Davis [mailto:adavis@ubasics.com]
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2000 1:28 PM
To: assembly-89@lists.ticalc.org
Subject: Re: A89: Me distributing roms.

This is not true. In order to put 56k on the line, the modem
manufacturers put a higher signal on the line.  This signal exceeds the
FCC regulations for phone line interfaces, and so they go down to 53k,
which they can deliver at the maximum.  The 53k limit is set in firmware
on the modem board, the modem simply will not connect at that speed.

Due to compression, however, you may transfer data at a higher speed,
but the data over the phone line is still 53k max.

-Adam