Re: A89: Re: Making a faster map routine(round #2)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Making a faster map routine(round #2)

>I have tried doing this and am getting nowhere.  Could
>somebody make a small example that shows how to do
>this with one plane and one sprite repeated over the
>screen?  Thanks

Niklas is saying that if every sprite is at an aligned address - every x
address is divisible by 8 - then rather than using a non-aligned putsprite
routine you can use a much faster aligned one.

Also, by drawing the sprites to a buffer first and then copying the buffer
to the screen you remove most of the flicker problem.

Why don't you send the slow map routine you have so far to the list and let
us try to optimize it to your needs?  You should always send the source to
these things the first time around, as it's much easier to provide help if
we know what you've got so far and what needs to be improved.  I don't have
the time to write up a generic map engine now, but I'm sure I can get yours
faster than you need =)

Be sure that you're using a jumptable for those sprites, a sprite routine
suited to your needs, and a buffer in BSS to draw to.

    -Scott Noveck (SMN)
     ACZ Member
     http://scott.acz.org <-- coming soon