Re: A89: TI89 ROM vs HP49 ROM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: TI89 ROM vs HP49 ROM

rogue_ant@hotmail.com writes:

> I would just like to thank all those how responded.  But I feel, I don't
>  know, like TI is being lazy.  I understand that the Saturn is a special
>  number crunchier, but the 89 should have blown it out of the water!  But
>  no... TI decided to not put in the extra effort, not take the 68k CPU to
the

>  fullest, not provide us with the same quality effort that HP did.  Don't
get

>  me wrong, I love my 89, but I feel that some how...we've been cheated.
>  Cheated of what could have been.  Just think of optimized OS for the
89/92+!

>    Not only the obvious speed improvements, but size improvement too.  I am
>  no expert on Compiled C vs. Asm, but I can tell you that TI would have a
>  hell of a lot more ROM space to put in more stuff.  They could have put in
>  an on calc assembler right in the ROM, like HP did, they could have put in
>  more math functions, they could have increased the numeric accuracy, they
>  could have increased the number of digits to only be limited by RAM, they
>  could have done all kinds of things.  BUT instead they decided to take the
>  easy way out, let HP beat you with just a little bit more work, and a lot
>  less machine.
>  The TI89 could have been a lot more, but alas they cheated us.
>  Maybe some TI guy will read this, and be furious.  Maybe he will take it
>  heart, either way I hope someone does read this who can do something about
>  it, or at least will try.  After all its just my opinion.
>
>  Sincerely
>
>  Josh Cunningham

Don't feel cheated! TI has one major thing that they did that can excuse a
fairly bloated program: flashROM. Had we had to wait for them to optomize the
code, we would have had to wait until we graduated from High School before
they released the TI89. By having a FlashROM and leaving more room for
upgradability, and waiting for later to optomize (or perhaps even a rewrite
in Assembly), we can get the calculator earlier. I don't feel cheated.