Re: A89: Internet Link (New language?)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Internet Link (New language?)

In a message dated 1/12/99 9:08:32 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
cyberdeity@pdq.net writes:

> Look, I'm not trying to be insulting, some people don't realize what they
>  could have.  Most ISP's are faster then aol.  Why is this?  Because aol
isn'
>  an ISP in the perfect sense.  The internet  aol offers is not their primary
>  service.  It is another goodie that comes with the subscription.  Here is
> how
>  a normal isp works.
>
>  Your internet request <-----------> your ISP acts as just another path
>  <------> various other servers <----> final request
>
>  Every thing flows in real time with the ISP acting as just the first server
>  in the network.
>
>  Here is how AOL works.
>
>  Your request ----------> AOL SERVER
>
>  Then
>
>  AOL SERVER <------------- Request
>
>  Then aol checks the request to make sure its suitable
>
>  Then if every thing checks out
>
>  You <----------- AOL SERVER
>
>  So you can see why a regular isp would have a slight advantage over AOL.
>
>  Just try this, download Netscape communicator 4.5. Get a 30 day free trial
> on
>  a local ISP.  Configure the e-mail for your ISP.  Download ICQ.  You will
>  find with this free setup you will get every thing and more then AOL.
>
>  I'm not bashing AOL.  I'm just saying that there are better things out
there.

You are actually incorrect.  An AOL TCP/IP connection is routed in the
exact same way as any other ISP, except when you use their browser.
IRC, ICQ, Netscape, etc. all are routed in the same way as any ISP.
AOL has hard-wired an HTTP proxy into the integrated browser.  Perhaps
this is what you are referring to.