Re: A89: Internet Link (New language?)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Internet Link (New language?)

Look, I'm not trying to be insulting, some people don't realize what they
could have.  Most ISP's are faster then aol.  Why is this?  Because aol isn't
an ISP in the perfect sense.  The internet  aol offers is not their primary
service.  It is another goodie that comes with the subscription.  Here is how
a normal isp works.

Your internet request <-----------> your ISP acts as just another path
<------> various other servers <----> final request

Every thing flows in real time with the ISP acting as just the first server
in the network.

Here is how AOL works.

Your request ----------> AOL SERVER

Then

AOL SERVER <------------- Request

Then aol checks the request to make sure its suitable

Then if every thing checks out

You <----------- AOL SERVER

So you can see why a regular isp would have a slight advantage over AOL.

Just try this, download Netscape communicator 4.5. Get a 30 day free trial on
a local ISP.  Configure the e-mail for your ISP.  Download ICQ.  You will
find with this free setup you will get every thing and more then AOL.

I'm not bashing AOL.  I'm just saying that there are better things out there.