Re: A89: AOL ISSUES

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: AOL ISSUES

> 1.  Never Tell An AOL User That AOL Sucks.
>      Reason: An AOL user has already been brainwashed by
> aol and as a member they
>  must argue with wise ISP users.

Yes, AOL has full subliminal mind control of all of my conscious thought.
It's interesting that you'd tell everyone not to argue with the people who
know what they're talking about.

>  2.  If you get dragged into a confrontation with an AOL user never bring up
>  download or connection speed.
>      Reason: While AOL is the slowest thing thing on the planet (isp wise)
an
> AOL
>  user sees that same sluggyness as lightening fast.
>                   Understand that an AOL user has never experienced true
> speed
>  and to them that turtle looks like a cheeta.

Sure.  My two primary internet connections are AOL and a T1.
I was extremely surprized when the T1 turned out to be faster
*sarcasm*.  I know what fast is and I know AOL is no worse
than any other major ISP.  Everyone says AOL is slow but
nobody has ever shown me proof, proof through stats or even
so much as proof through using AOL on their own computer.
AOL is indeed fast.  AOL is sure a lot faster than my modem,
and I always connect at my modem's max (28.8).

>  3.  Dont bring up access and availability about AOL to an AOL user.
>      Reason: To an AOL user "America Online" means "Entire Planet Online."
An
> AOL
>  user has trouble understanding that America is only 1
>                   country on a very large planet. Because very rich and very
>  un-intelligent forign AOL users use American 1-800 relay towers then
>                   in the eyes of an AOL user that must mean that everyone
can
>  afford 5 dollars an hour to go online.

I don't know what made you say this.  An illegal substance perhaps?
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  Nobody anywhere thinks
that.

>  4.  Dont try to explain anything to an AOL user...EVER.
>      Reason: An AOL user thinks they know everything.

Well, compared to you...

>  5.  Dont ever enguage in any multiplayer game of any kind with an AOL user.
>      Reason: A game that takes 20 minutes normaly will take 60 with an AOL
> user
>  due to extreme overloads of users and high lag.

I play StarCraft often and enjoy hosting games off my AOL 28.8.
My lag is about average and, as I said, I'm on a 28.8.  I don't often
see even 56k connections with better lag than me, and even then,
it's never better by more than a unit.  As for slowing down the game/
timeouts, AOL is much better about this than local ISP's.  MUCH
better.  Especially when there are multiple AOLers playing (which
is common considering the distribution of users).

>  6.  Dont get into a superiorty debate about how many users AOL has.
>      Reason: Aol is 3rd on the list of big (I am going to very inaccurately
> call
>  this an ISP) ISP's but an AOL users doesn't understand that
>                   each user has 5 seperate names making for a lot of messy
>  contacts.

AOL is first, not third.  And that's in accounts, not screen names.

>  Now For A Couple Of Facts:
>
>  1. Aol's software (4.0) takes up over 10 meg of ram just during low
> operation.

HAHA I'd bet it took you hours to make up that line of BS.  I run AOL's
software off of a computer with a 100 meg hard drive and 8 megs of
RAM on occasion with no problems whatsoever.

>  2. Aol's Authentication system makes it so that AOL must be open at all
> times
>  while online.

You don't know WTF you're talking about, do you?  The cyclic redundancy
check has been cracked and my account has been logged on to AOL
through linux on multiple occasions.  Nobody's been able to do anything
with it yet as they're still sniffing packets to figure out how to open
TCP/IP,
but that doesn't stop logon.

>  3. ISP's use dial up networking which uses < 50k or ram during any
operation.

You must be really short on RAM if you're that worried about it.  So what?
50k to a couple megs, I don't ever have a problem with lack of RAM,
and I often run AOL, Netscape, StarCraft, and others simultaneously.

>  4. ISP's Authentication system checks once then minimizes it's self for
> maximum
>  connectivity.

What?

>  5. Aol is rated the best internet service out there by all AOL users. (Even
>  though aol isn't an ISP read next:)
>  6  Aol is not an internet service. It is an Online service. America Online
> was
>  designed to suit newbies and people absessed with chatting to
>      other people in America.

Wrong, AOL is an ISP.  It is also an online service.  If you access it
from the Internet via TCP/IP, then it's an online service.  If you dial
up to it and browse the web, it's an ISP as well.

>  7. Aol's Online service's throughput is aproximately half that of the same
> modem
>  connection to a medium quality ISP user due to server side
>      security checking, Cussing, Spamming, Hacking, ETC.

You found this out through personal research?  I've never seen
another 28.8 user who wasn't using AOL out-perform me.  In fact,
I occasionally beat out 56k users.

>  8. Aol charges aprox. $20 a month for service whereas 50% of small, local
> ISP's
>  charge less than 15 dollars per month.

AOL, as you said, is more than an ISP.  You get what you pay for.

>  9. A cable modem is the very best bet for an average cost bastard at rates
> of
>  $40 per month (same as 2nd phone line and aol cost)

If you need the bandwidth it is.  I don't, and I spend hours a day on the
net.

>  10. A cable modem has a 1.5MEG / s throughput which is several hundred time
>  faster than a standard dialup account

And this relates to AOL how?