Re: A89: Internet Link(Debate about Aol anywhere)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Internet Link(Debate about Aol anywhere)

> Reasons why a real ISP is better than AOL: Umm a real ISP is faster
> (Don't tell me its not, I've used AOL),

It's not.  (I've used AOL too.  More than you I'd bet.)  4k/s download
speeds are not uncommon on my 28.8 and I've never connected
at below my max speed.  My lag on IRC usually alternates between
0 and 1s, even while browsing.

> AOL Monitors you

Sure it does.  It and those bloody Nazis know your every click.

> the Bloody TOS doesn't exist

And there is an ISP on which it does?

> email is customizable. (I can add my own headers),

True, but I don't think I want AOLers being able to add
headers or signatures. :)

> More respect is earned, ISPs aren't down every five minutes due to
> "maintenance"

Everybody has to dust the router at some time or another, reguardless
of the ISP.  AOL is down no more than any other ISP nowadays.

> and I Can use my OWN email client, own browser

I use Netscape myself.  And I happen to like AOL's e-mail
client (it's better than Juno or Hotmail).

> and I dont have to keep AOL open to use any other
> TCP/IP app (Not a real problem with AOL for Mac)

Hmm... you've got me there.  It's so annoying having that
1/2" of space completely gone from your taskbar.  And when
you aren't doing anything, man does it hog that .8% kernel
usage.  Of course, now that I think about it, it's about the
same for Win's PPP prog.  I suppose we could just buy a LAN.