A89: Flash-Programs...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Flash-Programs...

Ok, first, the I-net program. OIne if the program is stored in either the
RAM or the ARCHIVE, it will be erased during a reset. Second, feature
upgrades write themselves to the Flash ROM chip, when the calc crashes,
it erases the Ram, and the Archive chip, not the ROM chip, or else you'd
have to download your ROM code back to your calculator, every single time
your calc crashed. The ARCHIVE and the ROM might be on the same chip, but
I'm not sure. I think that the ROM is on a seperate chip though. Ok, also
the calcs' ROM code will not automatically recognize the program after a
crash, it looks for a certificate program that tells the ROM where to
look for the extra software, and also for the the starting/ending block
of memory in which it's stored, and the way to load the software into the
ROM. Basically, your calc will take longer to re-boot after a crash if
you have feature-upgrades installed. The only way to make a permanent
I-net program, or any program permanent for that matter, is to write the
program to the Flash ROM chip (NOT THE ARCHIVE CHIP, BUT THE ROM CHIP!!!)
and then develope a certificate program that the ROM will look at when
re-booting from a crash.

I will say however, that I don't think there is anyway whatsoever that
this will be accomplished in the near future, as TI will not release the
certificat format to the public, and the only way to get it, would be to
hack the computer program that installs it. But, no feature upgrades
exist yet, so that isn't possible, unless you want to go through the
lines of the ROM 1 by 1 looking for something that might be the
certificate, yet you would have no idea what to look for. So, don't give
too much thought to the permanent program idea right now. Maybe when TI
release the EE*Pro software, but who wants to spend $75 just to get it,
when it can't even be mass distributed?! There is an individual
certificate program for each individual serial number on each individual
ti-89 ever made.

Last but not least. Remember, these are goddamn calculators for crying
out loud!!! Yes hardware upgrades/additional devices are nice, but we're
talking about a tool used for Math and engineering, not a computer, not a
laptop, not a pda, not a palm-pc. Think about what the hell you're
talking about! A full sized qwerty keyboard plugged into the link port?!
who in their right mind would carry one around at school anyway!!! If you
want a damn key-board, go buy the damn 92+, I did!!!The internet, you
want the internet, go get a Palm-PC, LapTop, PDA, or something, ok? these
calculator were never meant to have internet capability. Plus, no school
will allow students to plug a calculator or modem into a wall phone jack,
it is both district policies, and national policies. That's the same
reason why you're not supposed to be allowed to plug in anything of your
own to  a wall power outlet! And you're probably thinking, ok, a
cell-phone then! Good idea, but not many high-school, early college aged
students are going to bring a damn Cell-phone to school just to connect
their fucking calculator to the internet!!! Especially since most
high-school's don't allow them, nor do they allow pagers!!!! Think about
this ok?! You're talking about something that was designed to calculate
and compute symbolic equations, as well as regular math equations, and do
some higher-level engineering computing too. This was never designed to
be a fucking PDA!!! TI even makes a PDA with internet capabilities and
backlit display screen, if you want a PDA go buy a PDA, don't buy a damn
calculator! Oh yeah, and all you people who are so hell-bent and
determined to make their calculators connect to the internet, you're all
freaking wooses! You probably sit in your room all day, playing on your
computer, yanking it to an old Frank Sinatra poster, and thinking about
how you're gonna give some guy named "Butch" a "jump" the next time you
see him!!! But ya know what, that's ok. I don't care if you "putt from
the ruff" but don't bring your damn gay ideas to a serious list about
assembly programming on the ti-89 graphing calculator.

Could you do me a favor, everyone reading this, go get your packaging to
your calculator, look at it, and tell me what it says. Does it say on
there anywhere, internet ready? Or how about external keyboard sold
seperately? And then for all of you still not convinced, take the
calculator, put it back in the packaging along with the manual, batteries
and link cable, and take it back to the store. Cuz you know what, you're
too fucking stupid to own a calculator!!!!

         Michael J Mallon
"The Clueless Dream Reality"

PS: For your information, I have some games on my 89. I have Zelda 89
(because I work for CCIA) and SMQ with on-calc level editor, because I'm
beta-testing it (I got the copy from my best friend it's the newest
version that was released to ticalc.org). On my 92+, nothing. I have no
games on my 92+. Now don't call me a hypocrit so to speak for beeing
signed up to this list, I want to create a Flash update for the
calculator which will install a 3D figure building program, as well as on
calc basic-to-assembly compiler. I am trying to get TI to send the
company I work for (not CCIA) the specs on the Flash Feature Upgrade
certificate programs, but it hasn't worked yet.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]