A89: the VAT

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: the VAT

>well, if ti thought about us programmers a bit more, they would've put
the VAT
>in the archive, so that all archived variables would still be usable
after a
>crash.  as is, the archived data is still there, but since there is no
entry
>in the VAT, the calc doesn't know they're there.  maybe the next upgrade
>the rom will move the VAT...

A simple ROM upgrade will not move the VAT, things like the VAT,
bootsector, certificate for the ROM, and the linking routines, are all
stored in protrected Flash Memory. It's just like taking a floppy disk
and write-protecting it. Plus, TI doesn't want programmers messing with
stuff like this. The only reason they put in assembly support, is because
1) teachers and students asked for it and TI wants to be on their good
side, and 2) they know that some things like EE*Pro and the Statistics
software for the 86, can only be done in ASM. ASM gives them the power to
optimize their ROM code, and to make upgrades faster and more reliable,
they did not intend it to be used for internet programs and crap like
that. TI obviously knows that people use it for games, they'd be stupid
if they didn't. but that was not their reason for implementing it on the
calc. Also, has anyone here seen one word of info on the built in ASM
support yet on either the 89 or the 92+? I know I sure as hell haven't,
and the 89s' been out for almost half a year, the 92+ module, for almost
8 months!!! and still, nothing! I think they realized that addinf built
in asm support might have been a mistake on their part.

Also, the files in the ARCHIVE are not thee after a crash. Why do you
think it takes so long to load the OS after a crash? Because the calc is
first completely erasing the RAM, and it performing a mandatory Garbage
collection on the ARCHIVE, otherwise the archive would be corrupt after a
crash, and filled with useless data, and since there would be not entry
for those files in the VAT, they would not be able to be erased, and
therefor your ARCHIVE would be completely useless. Think about that! TI
is not stupid! In fact, they are very smart! they are providing us with
leading products for Math computations as well as Science courses. They
didn't design these to be GameBoys'!!!! That's also one reason why they
haven't released a Color calculator yet! Also, you can't just add these
things to a Backup, the I-net program that is, because just like Zshell,
it would be in the VAT and theefor it would be able to be erased. It is
impossible at the present time to create a program that will write itself
permantly into the ROM code/chip and still have TI's OS on the calc.

         Michael J Mallon
"The Clueless Dream Reality"

Oh yeah, as for my last post, I don't sit at home and jerk off to my
computer. I don't even have my own computer, and not because my family is
poor, but because I don't want to turn into a goddamn computer nerd like
all of you. Oh yeah, if any of you want to question me on my ability to
use/program a computer, go ahead. I know C, C++, Basic, V-Basic, V-C++,
most of J++, as well as V-J++, because my school has actual classes on
programming, and you know what, even if I didn't have a computer at home,
I'd still take them, because they're some of the best "Math" courses you
can find! Well, them and Calculous BC-AP, as well as EC-101! Plus, I have
one thing that I'm sure very few of you have, if any at all, I have a
girlfriend!

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Follow-Ups: References: