Re: A89: FuZiOnZ Clarification

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Olle Hedman wrote:

> Nathan Mueller wrote:
> > If you implemented all the ships and things with simple polygons, then
> > did hit detection assuming that they are spheres, then yes, I think the
> > 89 can pull it off.
> >
> >         --Nate
>
> wouldnt it be even faster to assume they where boxes?
>
> //Olle

I don't think so.  If you made the sphere assumption then the hit test
would be very simple.  If object a is a <x,y,z> and object b is at
<a,b,c> and both have a radius of r, then they would touch if
sqrt((x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2) <= 2r.  Wait, I may be wrong, since
the 68k doesn't implement ^2 and sqrt(.  I guess you may be right, but I
think the sphere model would be easier to implement.  What we really
need is a graphics coprocessor add-on for the 89.  Probably pluging into
the link port and supporting matrix multiply instructions.  There are
comercial chips that do that for less then $20, but it may be quite a
chalenge to configure it with the 89 link port.

	--Nate