Re: A89: Re: Attn: "TI-BOMBERMAN"

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Attn: "TI-BOMBERMAN"

Daniel Imfeld wrote:

> This is interesting.  Personally, I would have to agree with pretty much
> everything Adam Davis said.  (See:  REPLY, at bottom of message)  If anyone
> is intersted in finding out who it is,  Yahoo probably has that information,
> but being confidential, they shouldn't give it out.
>
> I also have a question.  Adam, when you mentioned the HELO protocol, were
> you referring to the Sendmail commands in which the first command is HELO
> with some parameters?
>
> Daniel Imfeld

Request For Comment(RFC) 821 covers the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.
This is the protocol used when your mail client talks to an SMTP server
in order to send mail.  HELO is the first command the client uses.  I'm
not completely sure what that error message indicates, but the server he
is using to send mail through is giving a warning that he's not using
the correct protocol.  I was curious what program he was using to
mailbomb so that I could find out(he may be using an older, but still
supported, protocol, for instance) what protocol he is using.

After my signature you'll find a quick summary of the commands, and a
sample dialog between the client and server computers.

-Adam

The following are the SMTP commands:

            HELO <SP> <domain> <CRLF>

            MAIL <SP> FROM:<reverse-path> <CRLF>

            RCPT <SP> TO:<forward-path> <CRLF>

            DATA <CRLF>

            RSET <CRLF>

            SEND <SP> FROM:<reverse-path> <CRLF>

            SOML <SP> FROM:<reverse-path> <CRLF>

            SAML <SP> FROM:<reverse-path> <CRLF>

            VRFY <SP> <string> <CRLF>

            EXPN <SP> <string> <CRLF>

            HELP [<SP> <string>] <CRLF>

            NOOP <CRLF>

            QUIT <CRLF>

            TURN <CRLF>

Sample transaction between two computers, one is sending or relaying
mail to the other.  R is the RECEIVER of the mail, S is the SENDER of
the mail:

         R: 220 BBN-UNIX.ARPA Simple Mail Transfer Service Ready
         S: HELO USC-ISIF.ARPA
         R: 250 BBN-UNIX.ARPA

         S: MAIL FROM:<Smith@USC-ISIF.ARPA>
         R: 250 OK

         S: RCPT TO:<Jones@BBN-UNIX.ARPA>
         R: 250 OK

         S: RCPT TO:<Green@BBN-UNIX.ARPA>
         R: 550 No such user here

         S: RCPT TO:<Brown@BBN-UNIX.ARPA>
         R: 250 OK

         S: DATA
         R: 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
         S: Blah blah blah...
         S: ...etc. etc. etc.
         S: .
         R: 250 OK

         S: QUIT
         R: 221 BBN-UNIX.ARPA Service closing transmission channel

For those interested in knowing more about this, and other internet
protocols, see
http://www.FreeSoft.org/CIE/index.htm
It is a *very* good resource to have at hand.  RFC 821 covers the SMTP
protocol.