Re: A89: Re: Cracking AMS 2.01

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Cracking AMS 2.01

Well, I'm *assuming* that they are selling a few thousand ti-89s a week,
or at least every month.  Otherwise it wouldn't be worth their time to
design and manufacture it.  Since we are adding MAYBE 10 people every
month to the assembly-89 list, I simply cannot believe that we comprise
more than 1% of their market, which is barely significant enough to spit
on.

However, these assumptions and opinions are merely that; I don't have
real figures to work with.

You can do a lot with 8k; but you have to know the machine to squeeze
the power out of it.  Besides, that's not really an issue, it doesn't
matter how nice the TI-OS is: nearly everyone will want to run a shell
or kernel over it, which will take care of those pesky little issues.

What really gets to me is that everyone here probably knows all this,
and yet many are still complaining.  If this complaining were happening
on a non-technical list, I wouldn't be fazed, but I'm assuming that if
one is on this list then one has a certian technical proficieny with the
calculator, and they are intelligent enough to know that it matters
little what TI does.  They change the hardware so we can't change the
flash?  Fine.  There will be some little bug (like the ti-92 backup file
bug) which will allow us to do so.  Hopefully they will choose a path
that is nice for us, but in the end all the calc is is a 68k with
memory, an LCD, keypad, and some math software.  We have a computer
which is as powerful as, and faster than, the original macintosh
computer.  We have the ability to do whatever we want with it, it may
just take a small bit of work to do certian things.

I honestly think that some users are making a mountian out of a mole
hill.  You'll notice that most of the *good* game programmers aren't
even commenting on the issue, prefering to wait until TI actually
releases AMS 2.

Of course, if the version that's being passed around is from TI, and
they decide to make changes now that people here are throwing a
hissy-fit, then we'll have to wait another 3-6 months for it to come
out, and the same people throwing the hissy-fit now will simply start
complaining about it not being out when they told us it would be.

So, to all those who still feel a need to complain my message is simply
this:  Sit down, stick a pacifier in your mouth, and wait until we
actually have ams 2 in our hands.

-Adam

Signs that you're not suited to your profession, #6:
I tyep 80 wrods a minuet.
-- DyslexicBret

Zeromus Mog wrote:

> > You probably wouldn't believe how surprised many people were when TI
> > announced ASM accesability on newer calcs, but now that they've given
> > you an inch, you are crying foul that they haven't given you a mile.  I
> > would characterize many here as spoiled brats who let go of their
> > balloon.
>
> They gave us an inch, then they took away 3/4 of it... what the heck can you
> do with 8k? Make more clones of nibbles? And you can't say that we don't
> control a significant part of their market share... I know many people
> myself who would have never gotten a TI if they hadn't seen the games for
> them.
>
> -Zero

Follow-Ups: References: