Re: A89: Re: "Transfer" of values between C and ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: "Transfer" of values between C and ASM

You are both correct and incorrect.  C can be just as fast as ASM provided
1) the compiler is efficient
2) the programmer _knows_ the compiler and all it's faults

A real programmer understands where the compiler will make slow or inefficient
code, and shore it up with ASM as necessary - or modify the compiler.

Please note that GCC is a very good compiler.  It has been modified many many
times in order to make it very efficient.  The nice thing is the source code is
open so if you see where it generates bloated code, you can adjust it to make
tighter code.

C programs, properly coded (without any asm) can and do run as fast as programs
made completely in asm.

-Adam