A89: Computer Serial Ports [WAS: Re: Holy god what did i do???????]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Computer Serial Ports [WAS: Re: Holy god what did i do???????]

There really is little chance of shorting out your computer through the
serial port.  'They' have designed the UARTs to take a few thousand
volts peak for a few microseconds before any damage occurs.

One of the reasons to go to USB is it is a serial BUS, whereas rs-232 is
designed to be communication from a single point to single point, USB is
host(computer) to multiple slaves (up to 127, in theory) and is designed
around the ability to 'plug n play', meaning that windows (or another
well equiped operating system(insert your favorite flavor here)) will
recognize what type of device it is, and find a suitable generic driver,
unless the user presents the real driver.  The current serial port is
not plug n play.  The parallel port is (sortof), as windows will often
detect what printer you have, and install the corresponding driver.

Furthermore, the USB is a far more rigid standard, in that protocol is
set, and electrical standards are set.  I think it is TTL compatible,
but the cable is smaller, the connector is smaller, and this helps with
case and MB size and cost.

At any rate...

-Adam