[A86] Re: The f'n 86 screen

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: The f'n 86 screen

>        O.K., my routine works fine. I like it the way it is, even if I
>decide
>to change it later.  Moving the sprite on-screen and clearing the unneeded
>part of the old sprite is phenominally wasteful, considering that the human
>mind can't tell the difference between a continuous image and canging
>pictures flashed rapidly.  How about I just send someone my source and that
>person can compile it and run it (on a real calc, VTI doesnt seem to have a
>problem) and see what I mean.  Yall have some good ideas and all, but my
>original question remains unanswered.
>
>Marc McG

Your original question was "If you know what this is or know how to fix it,
please let me know, because I kinda have no clue."
Aaron and David said what it is, and everybody has been telling you ways to
fix it.
I'm not going to give a long lesson about how all types of displays work,
but here's a simple explanation:
Every display has 3 parts: memory, a controller, and a screen.
When you copy something to the video mem, it doesn't actually get displayed
on the screen.
Instead, every so often the controller reads the vid mem and updates what is
shown on the screen.
When you wrote your routine, you didn't account for this.
I'd have to see the source to know exactly what's going on...
What I think is happening is that when you erase the sprite you're waiting
to long to redraw it.
I know for sure that during some of the lcd's refresh cycles, the sprite
isn't drawn.
As for your tricked out 3 level greyscale, I had a similar problem when I
first tried greyscale; It's basicly the same problem as above.
Try using the routines already written; they were written by smart people
with more experience and they are gauranteed to work ;)

Cavan