[A86] Re: TCP/IP stack

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: TCP/IP stack

>From: rabidcow@juno.com
>To: assembly-86@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: [A86] Re: TCP/IP stack
>Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 18:10:25 -0700
>

> > have to go to a PC to get the whole system back on the calc.  I think
> > robustness will be inportant because as soon as the OS crashes your
> > stuck  with the old OS.  What do you think?
> >
> > Also the kernel would have to deal with memory fragmentation.  Like
> > in the
> > older MAC OSs when you load program A, B and C.  And then close
> > program B,
> > you have a hole in memory that is the size of program B.  Then you
> > get into
> > situations where you have lots of free ram but not enough in one
> > space to
> > load another program.  Unless you allow the kernel to rearange or
> > (defrag)
> > the memory space dynamically.  This could be made to work, but does
> > feel
> > very eligant to me.  Any thoughts?  Is this a trade-off worth
> > making?
>
>The built-in memory system does this already, why not use it?
>Then you could have a small program to boot your shiny OS from TI-OS in
>case of a bad crash.

Two comments:
(1)   How could the "built-in" memory system solve the problem of user
process space fragmentation due to the loading and unload of program images
into runnable z80 address space.  As I understand it, the "built-in" memory
system saves data variables acrossed a paged memory map.  Are you saying
that one of these variables could be a program?  You wouldn't be able to
directly execute it cause it would not always be located in executable ram.
Elaborate on how the "built-in" memory system could be used to manage
multiple program images (while they are being executed)?

(2)   When the new OS is booted, it takes over everything.  Potentially
wiping out all previous knowledge of the other OS.  As a result, when it is
running, there is no TI-OS VAT or other datastructures to fall back on.  If
the new OS crashes, the only thing to fall back on is a reboot back into a
clean TI-OS.