[A86] Re: Alternative language compiler

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: Alternative language compiler

Why would I want to work on something that sucks as bad as GNOME?  :)
Seriously though, I think that the Qt API is far, far ahead of GTK+, which
is why I don't have any desire to work on anything GNOME related.  I've
thought about working on Quanta, since the developers decided to drop the
free version.  But KDE development seems kind of frantic, and I don't know
if I have that kind of time.

Incidentally, I am working on a curses text editor, because I don't like
anything that is available.  I want to work on a project like this because I
find compiler technology very interesting, and I haven't seen a lot of work
done in this area.  Being able to quickly develop efficient software for a
limited platform has benefit in many modern applications.  One thing I would
like to see is an open source vectorizing compiler.  gcc has never generated
efficient code, and likely never will, given it's design goals.  A compiler
that would generate code twice as fast for modern cpu's would be very useful
for everything.  You can't just jump into that sort of thing without a lot
of previous experience, and this type of project would be a good place to
start.