Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

> I was talking about why C isn't used on the Z80, and I think you have
> gotten a bit confused by my comment. C isn't being used on the Z80
> because of the limitations that the Z80 and TI imposes on memory and
> CPU speed. 6Mhz is just a tad low for a high-level language
> (obviously apparent, even in BASIC) to operate at 'acceptable'
> realtime speeds without size overhead. Also, since the Z80 is limited
> to 64k addressable at any one time (which the 68k is NOT limited to)
> and since TI has 32k of that in use, you can really only use around
> 24k of runtime space, very constraining for something like C.

but c is being used by some, using c has nothing to do with what platform it
is on...im sure that many systems that use a z80 or like processor use it,
in fact i know of a few... the gameboy uses a workalike z80 with only a
couple operations added and taken out (by the way there have been a few
games commercially made that make use of c for it, ill give ya some bonus
points if you can name which ones) and also the genesis used the z80 for its
sound and im sure that some developers used at least a little c every now
and then for that. so if you research what I just said then you'd understand
that a c language can be used on any system that anyone wants to use it for,
basically all thats holding them back is having the right tools to do it. i
could easily say that c wont work on a 68k processor if there werent any
good c tools for it right?

Follow-Ups: References: