A86: Re: Looking for z80 Programming Book

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Looking for z80 Programming Book

As far as I know, there aren't any books on programming the Z80 that are
still in print.  However, there are plenty of tutorials to be found on the
internet.

One good book that I've heard reference to is "Programming the Z80" by
Rodnay Zaks, but that has long since gone out of print, and I have never
found a place where it could be ordered (most bookstore people are totally
clueless).  He also wrote a nice "Programming the 6502", but I don't suppose
most people would use that anymore...

The best instruction reference that I know of would be the Assembly Studio
86 help file.  And I'm assuming you're using that anyway :)  This isn't just
a plug, because it is what I heavily relied on when I started.  It's
shortcoming is that it doesn't list the flag settings, but you will learn
those with experience (i.e, only arithmetic and logical instructions set the
carry flag, but the others only set the zero flag).  It also has a huge rom
call reference, which you will need.

I am fairly sure that the chip is not a standard Z80, but the core is the
same, so all opcodes will be the same.  So any Z80 reference will work just
fine.