Re: Re:A86:gbdk

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re:A86:gbdk

From: Jeff Barrett <kanebarrett@worldnet.att.net>
> Robin Kirkman responded:
>
> >to my knowledge, [scrolling and sprites are not] handled by the processor
itself.

> true, but the TI calcs don't have all the built in goodies that do handle
> those things. That is the attraction, the processor doesn't have to do
> everything.

So scrolling and sprites are NOT handled directly by the hardware, but they
are 'built in'.  I take it then that the scrolling and sprite code is
included in the ROM routines?

> You can make sound, true, and most of the neat tricks you see on the game
> boy have been "faked" at some point in Asm games, but the added code slows
> the overall program.

If these routines really are in the ROM on the GB (as opposed to being
directly handled in hardware), then they wouldn't execute any faster than
the game code on the GB.  Likewise, including scroll/sprite code in an ASM
game would not be any slower than if the same code existed in ROM (as I
presume it does on the GB). So the main advantage would be a savings in
space (and coding time, assuming the programmer didn't have the routines
prewritten)?

I'd definately agree that not having a standard graphics library in ROM
would slow game development, but not necessarily game play.

Are there other game-oriented routines on the GB that speed development?

DK